The funicular is a rare piece of the European railway heritage and is one of only three survivors of 19th and 20th century classified funiculars, with those of the Capucin at Mont Dore and Besançon.
Put into operation in 1907, this electric traction funicular was formely used to transport customers of the Evian Water company and the hotels of the town. Stops were at the source Cachat, the Splendide and the Royal hotels. Between October 1911 and May 1913, the line was extended up to the level of the Ermitage hotel terrace, and to the wharf (by an underground tunnel of 140m long) next to the new thermal establishment inaugurated in 1902. The two wooden and steel cars can each receive 60 people.
The funicular stopped in September 1969. The classification as a historical monument in 1984 saved it from a planned destruction. In 1995, the municipality decided to start a six years restoration work. On July 20, 2002, the funicular finally returned to service.
The funicular is an historical and original means of transport. It connects the center of Evian to Neuvecelle throughout 5 stations. The lower station is located on the port street (behind the Palais Lumière). Upper station is at "Grange au lac" concert hall.
Opening: last weekend of April to the 3rd weekend of September. From 10 am to 12:30 pm and from 1:15pm to 7:30pm (last departure at 7:10 pm). Open from 9:15 am on Tuesdays and Fridays (market days). Departure every 20 minutes from both stations. It takes about 15 minutes for the full journey.