The "Vieille Douane" cultural centre (old customs) is located in the old customs office of Châtel. This place invites visitors to discover the history of smuggling in the French and Swiss mountains of Chablais region. Through an original exhibition, visitors follow the incredible adventures of a duo formerly inseparable from the border: the customs officer and the smuggler.
Temporary exhibition "Chatel since 1947": the station celebrates 70 years" : in the 1940s, most smugglers gave up their culpable activities, in favor of more respectable trades in the field of tourism booming. During the winter of 1947/1948, Châtel opens its first lift!
- From 23rd December 2018 to 28th April 2019: everyday from 2pm to 6pm, except Saturday (closed on Saturday, 25th December and 1st January).
- From 16th to 30th June: everyday from 2pm to 6pm, except Saturday (closed on Saturday)
- From 1st July to 31st August: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday from 10am to 12pm & from 2pm to 6pm. Wednesday, from 2pm to 8pm. Closed on Saturday.
- From 1st to 15th September : everyday from 2pm to 6pm. Closed on Saturday.
- From 16th September to 27th October : Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday from 2pm to 5pm.
Min. 4 people, on reservation. Children from 8 to 12 years old can also discover the "Vieille Douane" with a booklet of on sale at the reception (€ 2).
Adult € 4.50 / 8-15 years old € 3.50 / free for children under 8 years old.
Reduced price € 3.50 (student, disabled card, job seeker, corporate Crédit Agricole).
Guided tour: supplement €2.
Audioguide: supplement €1.
Reduced rate in summer with the "Multi Pass" card.
Groups welcome all year round by reservation.
La Vieille Douane
1277, Route de Vonnes, 74390 CHATEL
Tel. + 33 (0)4 50 71 75 11 / firstname.lastname@example.org